Thank you for your interest in working at Magnolia Farm Summer Day Camp! We are looking for team players willing to work in an assigned role, and also be flexible and help where needed. As a team, we will work towards Magnolia Farm’s Mission, which is to offer campers opportunities for:
- A summer of joy, wonder, and fun on the farm!
- Growth in confidence, communication, and teamwork skills through a nurturing community, led by inspiring and caring staff.
- Development of creativity and problem solving skills through many fun, engaging, and challenging activities.
Please be sure to read information on our Summer Day Camp elsewhere on this site!
All Staff are required:
- To be at least 18 and CPR/First Aid Certified current thru the end of camp; additional certifications may be required.
- Current college student, or college graduate.
- To complete an application. Please see the page “Application for Employment” for the steps needed to apply!
- To provide three references.
- To pass a back ground check, including child abuse registry and criminal record checks.
Important Staff Dates for 2019:
- Staff Training: May 29 to May 31: 8 AM to 4 PM.
- Additional dates in May for CPR certification for those not currently certified.
- 15 hours of online training required before camp.
- Camp Sessions: June 3 to July 12.
- Staff Hours During Sessions: 8 AM to 3:30 PM. Staff may need to alternate working until 5:30. Hours may be adjusted weekly based on camper enrollment; some staff may be hired on a part time basis. Staff working with horses generally work only mornings.
- Camper Hours:
- Main Camp: 9 AM to 3:15 PM
- Before/After Care: 8:00 AM to 5:15 PM
Group Leader/Counselor (age 18+): College students and young (at heart) teachers. Each group of children is led by a Group Leader who fills the role of parent, friendship coach, teacher, and social worker as needed. The Group Leader is the true leader of the group, responsible for everything from attendance to overall happiness. The Group Leader also oversees their Ass’t-Counselor(s). Group Leaders assist specialists at elective activities, and if qualified, can lead a select few.
Ass’t Counselor (Age 18+ students that just graduated High School): Ass’t Counselors are the “big brothers and sisters” of their campers. Each group of children has one or two Ass’t Counselors as well as the Group Leader. Much of the summer’s success lies with the relationship between Counselors and campers. For most campers, great Counselors = great summers. Ass’t Counselors assist Specialists during elective activities, and provide motivation and emotional support to the campers throughout the day.
Athletic Specialist (age 18+): Teachers, certified, and/or experienced adults. Areas: Archery, Riding Instructor, Kayaking and more. Specialists lead elective activities with the assistance of Group Leader(s) and/or Counselor(s). Athletic Specialists are usually teachers with experience coaching children. This position may be half day, and/or several days a week.
Creative Specialist (age 18+): Teachers and experienced adults. Nature Journals, Drawing, Painting, Pottery, Puppetry, Jewelry Making, Music, Dance, Drama, Science, Nature, Magic, Poetry, and more! Specialists lead elective activities with the assistance of the Group Leader(s) and/or Counselor(s). Creative Specialists are usually experienced teachers. This position may be half day, and/or several days a week.
Life Guard for Creek Exploration (18+ High School graduate and older): Current American Red Cross (or equivalent) lifeguard certification required before beginning employment.
Support Services (age 18+): Office, Maintenance, and Grounds (work available from spring through fall).
Leadership Team (age 21+): Experienced teachers or adults with supervisory/management experience. Division Leaders, Assistant Division Leaders, Program Director, Social Workers
Magnolia Farm is an alcohol, drug and tobacco free facility. Magnolia Farm provides equal opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age (as long as minimum age requirement is met), disability, or veteran status. Please note we are unable to accommodate staff’s pets on the property.
“If a child is to keep alive his inborn sense of wonder, he needs the companionship of at least one adult who can share it, rediscovering with him the joy, excitement, and mystery of the world we live in.”